The NFL pre-season has concluded and the roster cuts (down to 53) have been made. Several BYU players had standout performances again this week, but for most of them it wasn’t enough to ensure them a spot on the time. Paul Lasike (Arizona) especially had a busy week. He had a four yard touchdown reception in Arizona’s win. Every ball that’s ever been thrown to him in the NFL he has caught for a touchdown. Two days before his game his daughter was born and two days later he was released from the team. Chicago wasted no time and signed him to their practice squad. Here’s a look at his TD reception.
Daniel Sorenson (Kansas City) also had a first with his first NFL interception to go with his two tackles and pass deflection. Alani Fua’s (Arizona) had three tackles, one TFL, and one PD. Hebron Fangupo had two tackles and one TFL.
Released from teams (6): Jordan Leslie (Minnesota), Rob Daniel (Oakland), Hebron Fangupo (Kansas City), Spencer Hadley (Oakland), Paul Lasike (Arizona), Devin Mahina (Washington)
Added to practice squads (4): Rob Daniel (Green Bay), Hebron Fangupo (Kansas City), Paul Lasike (Chicago), De’Ondre Wesley (Baltimore).
On 53 man rosters (8): Ziggy Ansah (Detroit), John Denney (Miami), Alani Fua (Arizona), Dennis Pitta (Baltimore), Dallas Reynolds (NY Giants), Daniel Sorenson (KC Chiefs), Uani Unga (NY Giants), Kyle Van Noy (Detroit).
See below for reports on each of the former Cougs.
Stat Lines (alphabetical)
- Ziggy Ansah (DE, Detroit Lions, 3rd season). Ansah was held out and recorded no statistics in Detroit’s 17-10 victory over the Buffalo Bills. He is expected to start and be the leader of the defensive line in Sunday’s season opener versus the San Diego Chargers.
- Rob Daniel (CB, Oakland Raiders, UDFA Rookie). Did not play in the Raider’s 31-21 loss to the Seattle Seahawks and was cut from the team. He was signed to the Green Bay Packers practice squad.
- John Denney (LS, Miami Dolphins, 11th season). Recorded no statistics in Miami’s 22-17 loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He made the final 53 man roster and is expected to start at long snapper and play special teams again this season.
- Hebron Fangupo (DL, Kansas City Chiefs, 2nd season). Recorded two solo tackles and a tackle for loss in Kansas City’s 24-17 victory over the St. Louis Rams. Unfortunately, that wasn’t enough and he didn’t make the 53 man roster, but was signed to the practice squad. Fangupo played five total games in the last three NFL seasons for the Seattle Seahawks and Pittsburgh Steelers.
- Alani Fua (LB, Arizona Cardinals, UDFA rookie). Recorded three solo tackles, a tackle for loss, and a pass deflection in Arizona’s 22-20 victory over the Denver Broncos. He made the 53 man roster and will play for the Cardinals this season.
- Spencer Hadley (LB, Oakland Raiders, 2nd season). Recorded no statistics in Oakland’s 30-23 loss to the Arizona Cardinals. He was released from the Raiders after playing in two games for them last season. He is currently a free agent.
- Paul Lasike (RB, Arizona Cardinals, UDFA Rookie). Caught one pass for a four yard touchdown in Arizona’s 22-20 victory over the Denver Broncos. It wasn’t enough and he was released from the Cardinals. However, he was almost immediately picked up by Chicago, getting signed to play on their practice squad.
- Jordan Leslie (WR, Minnesota Vikings, UDFA Rookie). Was released/waived from the team on Sunday, August 30th.
- Devin Mahina (TE, Washington Redskins, UDFA Rookie). Was released from the Redskin’s last Monday, August 31st.
- Dennis Pitta (TE, Baltimore Ravens, 6th season). Pitta is currently on the injured list (hip) and did not play in Baltimore’s 20-19 loss to the Atlanta Falcons. He was placed on the regular-season PUP list last Tuesday.
- Dallas Reynolds (G, New York Giants, 4th season). Recorded no statistics in New York’s 12-9 victory over the New England Patriots. He made the 53 man roster and will play for the Giants again this season.
- Daniel Sorenson (DB, Kansas City Chiefs, 2nd season). Recorded two tackles, a pass deflection, and an interception in Kansas City’s 24-17 victory over the St. Louis Rams. He mad the 53 man roster and will play for the Chiefs again this season.
- Uani (Devin) Unga (LB, New York Giants, 2nd season). Recorded two solo and six assisted tackles with a pass deflection in New York’s 12-9 victory over the New England Patriots. He made the 53 man roster and will play for the Giants again this season.
- De’Ondre Wesley (OT, Baltimore Ravens, UDFA Rookie). Was released from the 53 man roster but signed to the Raven’s practice squad.
- Kyle Van Noy (LB, Detroit Lions, 2nd season). KVN bounced back from injury and had one assist and one solo tackle to go with two pass deflections in Detroit’s 17-10 victory over the Buffalo Bills. He is second on the depth chart but could easily pass Whitehead as a starter as the season progresses.
Other Players who got a sniff of the NFL:
- Harvey Jackson, attended Carolina mini-camp
- Skye PoVey, attended Green Bay mini-camp
- Solomone Kafu, attended Arizona mini-camp
- Ross Apo, attended Seattle mini-camp