This page was last updated December 28, 2022.
The Cougars currently have the no. 46 rated transfer class for 2023 according to 247 Sports. The following players have transferred to BYU in 2022-23:
- Jackson Cravens (DL). Is a two-year starter with four seasons of football at Utah and Boise State. Prepped at Timpview HS (Provo, UT). Coming to BYU as a graduate transfer with one season of eligibility remaining.
- Wyatt Dawe (DL). Played in all 13 games as a freshman as Southern Utah University in 2022. Prepped at Pleasant Grove HS where he was an all-state football player, wrestler, and powerlifter.
- Kedon Slovis (QB). Was starting quarterback at Pitt in 2022 and at USC from 2019-2021. Is 23-14 as a starter in 37 career starts, throwing 836-of-1268 for 9,973 yards and 68 touchdowns to 33 interceptions. Prepped at Desert Mountain HS (Scottsdale, AZ).
- Isaiah Bagnah (DL). Was a starter at Boise State.
- Aidan Robbins (RB). Was the starting running back at UNLV in 2022 and played at the University of Louisville from 2019-2021. All-MWC honorable mention with 1,010 rushing yards. Prepped in Kentucky. Two years eligibility remaining.
- Will Ferrin (K/P). Played two seasons at Boise State where he had 45 kickoffs (with 20 touchbacks) in 10 games. Also punted twice for 71 yards. Prepped at Davis High School (Kaysville, UT). Three years eligibility remaining.
These former BYU players entered the transfer portal in 2022-23:
- Gabe Jeudy-Lally (CB). Entered transfer portal on December 28, 2022.
- Korbyn Green (CB). Class of 2022, saw limited action in three games on special teams. Entered transfer portal on December 20, 2022.
- Nathaniel Gillis (DB). Class of 2022, appeared in one game. Entered transfer portal on December 19, 2022.
- Talin Togiai (OT). Class of 2022, did not appear in any games for the cougars. Entered transfer portal on December 19, 2022.
- Clark Barrington (OL). Starting offensive lineman from the Class of 2016, he started all 13 games in 2022. In five seasons for the Cougs he started 40 games and only allowed two sacks. Has one year of eligibility remaining. Baylor commit.
- Keenan Pili (LB). Starting BYU linebacker in 2022 who started in all 12 games. Entered transfer portal on December 9, 2022. Graduate transfer.
- Logan Fano (DL). Tore ACL spring 2022, redshirted and has four years of eligibility. Entered transfer portal on December 6, 2022. Utah commit.
- Terence Fall (WR). One catch and one rushing TD in 2022. Entered transfer portal on December 4, 2022. Has three years of eligibility.
- Jacob Conover (QB). Entered the transfer portal on December 2, 2022. Played in five games from 2021-22. Arizona State commit.
- Campbell Barrington (OL). Started six games as a freshman (2021), saw reduced time in 2022. Entered the transfer portal on December 3, 2022. Baylor commit.
- Tate Romney (WR). Appeared in 3 games as a freshman in 2022. Entered the transfer portal on December 5, 2022. Arizona State commit.
- Dallin Holker (TE). Played in three games in 2022. In his BYU career Holker played in 29 games and had 42 receptions for 521 yards and three touchdowns. Entered the transfer portal on September 20, 2022.
BYU has also had a number of de-commits, including:
- Leo Pulalasi (WR from Washington). De-committed from BYU on December 8, 2022 and flipped his commitment to Washington State a few days later.
- Landen Chambers (ATH from Texas). De-committed from BYU on November 17, 2022.
- Stanley Raass (DL from Hawaii). Broke his commitment to BYU on November 9, 2022 and re-opened his recruitment. Gave verbal committed to the University of Utah.
Finally, BYU has a number of players are leaving early as they declare for the NFL draft or are simply to move on from football. These players include:
- Puka Nacua (WR, 2019). Announced December 28, 2022.
- Brayden Cosper (WR, 2018). Announced (or at least inferred) December 28, 2022.
- Blake Freeland (OL, 2019). Accepted an invitation to the Senior Bowl (which typically indicates your college career is over).
- Jackson Kaufusi (LB, 2016).
- Gunner Romney (WR, 2018).
- Jake Oldroyd (K/P, 2016). Announced December 17, 2022.
- Harris LaChance (OL, 2015). Announced on December 26, 2022.
- Jaren Hall (QB, 2016). Announced on December 23, 2022.
The following players have transferred to BYU (or are in the transfer portal) in 2021-22:
- Cole Hagen (QB, Class of 2020). Originally signed with Yale.
- Gabe Jeudy (DB, Class of 2019). Played three seasons at Vanderbilt
- Christopher Brooks (RB, Class of 2018). Played four seasons at Cal
- Houston Heimuli (RB, Class of 2017). Played four seasons at Stanford
- Kingsley Suamataia (OT, Class of 2021). Played one season at Oregon
These players have transferred from BYU in 2021-22:
- Sione Finau (RB, Class of 2018). Unknown
- Viliami Tausinga (LB, Class of 2018). Southern Utah
- Jake Jensen (QB, Class of 2019, PWO). USC
- Victory Vaka (DL, Class of 2021, PWO). College of the Canyons?
- Rhett Reilly (QB, Class of 2019). Unknown
- Baylor Romney (QB, Class of 2018). Retired from football
- Bentley Hanshaw (TE, Class of 2017). Liberty
- Cade Parrish (OL, Class of 2021). Utah State
- Jacques Wilson (DB, Class of 2020). Unknown
- Shamon Willis (DB, Class of 2019). Medically retired from football
The following players entered the transfer portal but then returned to BYU:
- Christopher Jackson (WR, Class of 2020)
- Caleb Christensen (DB, Class of 2019)
- Cole Hagen (QB, Class of 2020), 3-star recruit (81) by 247Sports out of Corner Canyon high school (Draper, UT). Had scholarship offers to Harvard, Utah Tech, Weber State, and Yale. Signed with Yale but then left on an LDS mission and entered transfer portal upon return. Signed with BYU as a PWO summer of 2022.
- Gabe Jeudy (DB, Class of 2019), 3-star prospect by 247Sports out of Ardrey Kell high school (Charlotte, NC). Had scholarship offers to Air Force, Army, Columbia, Harvard, Marshall, Princeton, Rice, Tulane, Vanderbilt, Yale, and about 15 smaller programs. Played three seasons at Vanderbilt. Last season he had 50 tackles (35 solo) with one pass defended and one interception.
- Christopher Brooks (RB, Class of 2018), 3-star recruit (0.8700) out of El Camino high school (Oceanside, CA). Out of high school he had scholarship offers to Arizona State, Boise State, Boston College, Cal, Iowa State, Oregon State, San Diego State, UCLA, Utah, Utah State, Washington, and Washington State. Was a four-year contributor at Cal, leading the team in rushing in both 2019 and 2021. He has been RB1 since his sophomore season (2019) when he rushed for 914 yards and eight touchdowns and caught 15 passes for 166 yards and four more scores. Entered the transfer portal December 6, 2021 and signed with BYU on December 15, 2021. He is currently enrolled at BYU.
- Houston Heimuli (RB, Class of 2017), 3-star recruit (0.8500) out of Bountiful high school (Bountiful, Utah). Out of high school had scholarship offers to Air Force, Northern Arizona, Stanford, and Weber State. Committed to Stanford as part of the class of 2015 but didn’t enroll until after his LDS mission. He was an All-PAC12 honorable mention and the Jack Huston Award winner in 2020, and a team captain and Outstanding senior award winner in 2021. Over his four years at Stanford Heimuli was primarily a blocking back but he also had eight receptions for 32 yards and a touchdown. Entered the transfer portal on December 1, 2021 and enrolled at BYU on January 5, 2022.
- Kingsley Suamataia (OT, Class of 2021). 4-star recruit (0.9824) out of Orem high school (Orem, UT). One of the highest rated recruits in the history of Utah, Suamataia held scholarship offers from Alabama, Arizona, Arizona State, Arkansas, BYU, Cal, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, LSU, Miami, Michigan, Mississippi, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oregon, Oregon State, Penn State, Pitt, Stanford, Tennessee, Texas A&M, UCLA, USC, Utah, Utah State, Virginia, Washington, Washington State, and Wisconsin. At Oregon in 2021 Suamataia was coming off a minor foot injury but still spent half of the season on the Oregon roster before entering the transfer portal. During that time, he played in one game at left tackle and was listed as backup for six others. With just one game of action Suamataia can count 2021 as his redshirt year. Entered the transfer portal on October 26, 2021 and committed to BYU on November 5, 2021. Currently enrolled at BYU.
2021-22 Transfers from BYU
The following players have transferred (or are in the transfer portal) from BYU in 21-2022:
- Sione Finau (RB, Class of 2018). 3-star recruit out of Kearns high school (Kearns, UT). Had offers to Nevada, Oregon State, SUU, and Weber State out of high school. In 2018 he played in four games, returning one kick for eight yards, having one fumble, and getting one tackle on special teams. In 2019 he played in eight games (two starts) and led BYU with 59 carries (6.1 ypc) for 359 yards and two touchdowns. He also had four receptions for 29 yards. In 2020 he played in six games and rushed 12 times for 48 yards with two receptions for eight yards. In 2021 he moved to the defensive backfield and recorded no stats in three games. Transfer destination currently unknown.
- Caleb Christensen (CB, Class of 2019). 3-star recruit (0.8227) out of Smithfield, Utah with offers out of Sky View high school to BYU, Southern Utah, and Utah Tech (Dixie). Had five tackles (two solo) and an interception in 2020 and one assisted tackle in 2021, Transfer destination unknown
- Victory Vaka (DL, Class of 2022). 3-star recruit (0.8784) out of Westlake high school (Westlake Village, CA) with offers to Arizona, Arizona State, BYU, Colorado, Florida, Florida State, Kansas, LSU, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, Nebraska, Oregon, Oregon State, Penn State, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Utah, Vanderbilt, and Washington State. Interesting situation because he enrolled at BYU January 2022 but didn’t join the football team. Transfer destination unknown.
- Christopher Jackson (WR, Class of 2018). 3-star recruit (0.8206) out of Pomona high school (Pomona, CA). He started at St. Antonio College (2018-19) and then as a JUCO transfer had scholarship offers to BYU, Middle Tennessee State, and San Jose State. At BYU in 2020 he played in eight games with six receptions for 22 yards and nine rushes for 43 yards. In 2021 he played in 13 games he had four receptions for 39 yards. Transfer destination unknown. Update: July 1, 2022 decided to return to BYU.
- Baylor Romney (QB, Class of 2015). 3-star recruit (0.8015) out of Franklin high school (El Paso, TX). Signed with Nevada out of high school but enrolled at BYU after serving an LDS mission. Was the BYU scout team QB in 2018 and then played in four games (with two starts) in 2019, throwing 54-of-85 for 747 yards and seven touchdowns (to two interceptions). In 2020 he played in seven games and went 24-for-35 for 261 yards, one touchdown, and one interception. In 2021 he appeared in five games (three starts) and threw 56-of-80 for 779 yards for six touchdowns and no interceptions. He is 4-1 in his five career starts. Entered the transfer portal on December 31, 2021 and announced a few weeks later he would be retiring from football.
- Rhett Reilly (QB, Class of 2018), Not rated out of Valley Center high school (Valley Center, CA). Served an LDS mission after high school and then enrolled at BYU on August 1, 2018 and was the scout team quarterback in 2019 as a walk-on. Did not play in 2020 or 2021. Reilly entered the transfer portal on December 31, 2021. Transfer destination unknown.
- Bentley Hanshaw (TE, Class of 2017), 2-star recruit (0.7900) out of Moorpark high school (Moorpark, CA). Had scholarship offers out of high school to Air Force, BYU, Cal, Hawaii, Navy, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon State, San Diego State, San Jose State, Utah, Utah State, and Wyoming. Redshirted in 2017 before serving an LDS mission. Didn’t play in 2020 (dressed for one game) or 2021. Entered the transfer portal on December 6, 2021 and transferred to Liberty University on January 7, 2022.
- Cade Parrish (OT, Class of 2019), 3-star recruit (0.8317) out of Logan high school (Logan, UT). Had scholarship offers out of high school to Arizona, BYU, Hawaii, Liberty, Mass, Oklahoma State, Oregon State, San Jose State, Texas State, UNLV, UTSA, Weber State, and Western Illinois. Served an LDS mission and then played the 2021 season at Snow College. Enrolled at BYU December 1, 2021 but entered the transfer portal just three weeks later (December 20, 2021). Transferring to Utah State.
- Jacques Wilson (CB, Class of 2020), 2-star recruit (0.7900) out of Culver City, CA. Had scholarship offers out of high school to BYU, Hawaii, and Utah State. Enrolled August 1, 2020 but didn’t play for the Cougars in 2020. Played in three games in 2021 but recorded no stats. Entered transfer portal on November 17, 2021.
2020-21 Transfers to BYU
The following players have transferred (or are in the transfer portal) to BYU in 2021-22:
- Samson Nacua (WR, Class of 2016, Utah). 3-star recruit (0.8493) out of high school but no scholarship offers. After walking on at Utah was able earn a scholarship. Played 4 seasons at Utah (45 total games with eight starts) and recorded 82 total receptions for 1015 yards (12.4 avg) and 11 touchdowns. Entered the transfer portal on February 26, 2021.
- Puka Nacua (WR, Class of 2019, Washington). 4-star recruit (0.9404) out of high school with 10+ P5 offers including Washington, Oregon, UCLA, USC, Utah, and Nebraska. Played two seasons at Washington (2019-20) where he recorded 16 receptions for 319 yards and three touchdowns in 11 games played. Nacua entered the transfer portal on March 7, 2021.
- Jakob Robinson (CB, Class of 2020, Utah State). 3-star recruit (0.8118) out of high school with offers to BYU and Utah State. Played one season at Utah State (four games, one start) and recorded eight tackles (six solo) and a sack. Entered the transfer portal on February 1, 2021.
- Kaleb Hayes (CB, Class of 2017, Oregon State). 3-star recruit (0.8234) out of San Gorgonio high school (CA) with offers to BYU, Fresno State, and Oregon State. Played two seasons at Oregon State with 44 tackles, two QB hurries and eight pass breakups in his redshirt Freshman season. Only played limited snaps in five games as a sophomore and didn’t play in 2020. Entered the transfer port on January 4, 2021
- Mufi Hunt (DE, Class of 2015, MIchigan State/Utah). 3-star recruit (0.8559) out of Taylorsville high school (UT) with offers to BYU, Oregon, Oklahoma, Utah, Cal. Played as a Redshirt Freshman in 2017 for Michigan State but was injured two games in. Also appeared in two games for Utah (2019) but then did not play during the 2020 season. Entered the transfer port on December 22, 2020
- Billoups, Nick (QB, Utah). 3-star recruit (85).
- Fennegan, Cade (QB, Boise State). 2-star recruit.
- Little, Tyler (OT, Butte Community College). Not rated
- Parrish, Cade (OT, Snow College). 3-star recruit (0.8317)
2021 Transfers from BYU
The following players have transferred (or are in the transfer portal) from BYU in 20-2021:
- Bruce Garrett (RB, Class of 2020). The 3-star recruit (0.8305) prepped at Pleasant Grove HS in Texarkana, TX and had scholarship offers to BYU and Illinois State. Left BYU just a few days into 2020 fall camp due to personal reasons. Entered the transfer portal July 12, 2021.
- Seleti Fevaleaki (DL, Class of 2017). 3-star recruit (0.8113) out of high school, had offers to BYU, Boise State, Hawaii, New Mexico, and UNLV. As a redshirt freshman in 2020 he played in 10 games and recorded six tackles (four solo), had one pass breakup, and one sack. Entered the transfer portal June 28, 2021 and has four years of eligibility.
- Darius McFarland (DL, Class of 2016). 3-star recruit (0.8366) out of high school, had offers to BYU, Air Force, Army, and Wyoming. He played in one game in 2018 as a TE/FB and five games in 2019 as a DE but recorded no stats. Entered the transfer portal December 14, 2020.
- Kuj Tapusoa (RB, Class of 2013). 3-star recruit (0.8209) out of high school, BYU was only scholarship offer. Played for the Cougs from 2016-20 (missing 2019 season with injuries), but recorded no stats. Entered the transfer portal August 25, 2020.
Transfers to BYU
The following players have transferred to BYU (and I’ll eventually get around to updating it to include those who transferred to BYU prior to 2019):
|NAME||POS||ROSTER YRS||HS RATING||LAST SCHOOL|
|Brooks, Christopher||RB||2022||3-star, 0.8700||Cal|
|Houston Heimuli||RB||2022||3-star, 0.8500||Stanford|
|Kingsley Suamataia||OL||2022||4-star, 0.9824||Oregon|
|Billoups, Nick||QB||2021-22||3-star, 85||Utah|
|Fennegan, Cade||QB||2021-22||2-star||Boise State|
|Hayes, Kaleb||DB||2021-22||3-star, 0.8234||Oregon State|
|Hunt, Mufi||DE||2021||3-star, 0.8559||Michigan State|
|Nacua, Puka||WR||2021-22||4-star, 0.9404||Oregon|
|Nacua, Samson||WR||2021||3-star, 0.8493||Utah|
|Parrish, Cade||OT||2021||3-star, 0.8317||JUCO|
|Robinson, Jakob||CB||2021-22||3-star, 0.8118||Utah State|
|Heron, Isaiah||CB||2018-22||2-star, 0.7953||BYU|
|Esukpa, Emmanuel||RB||2019||2-star, 0.7774||Rice|
|Unutoa, Mo||OT||2019||3-star, 0.8462||Utah|
|Dawson, Theo||RB||2019||2-star, 0.7531||Wyoming|
|Williams, Ty’Son||RB||2019||3-star, 0.8500||South Carolina|
|Willis, Shamon||CB||2019||2-star, 0.7575||Weber State|
|Lesli, Jordan||WR||2010||3-star, 0.8434||UTEP|
|Unga, Uani||LB||2006||3-star, 0.8111||Oregon State|
|Nelson, Riley||QB||2006||3-star, 0.8111||Utah State|
|Wong, Hau’oli Joe||OL||1994||NR||Hawaii|
|Dye, James||WR/PR||1992||NR||Utah State|
|Langi, Harvey||DE/LB||2011||4-star, 0.9068||Utah|
|Hill, Taysom||QB||2009||3-star, 0.8559||Stanford|
|Hall, Max||QB||2006-09||3-star, 0.8333||Arizona State|
|Poppinga, Kelly||LB||2005-07||NR||Utah State|
|Wadsworth, Michael||DB||2012-15||3-star, 0.7976||Hawaii|
Transfers from BYU
The following players have transferred from BYU (and I’ll eventually get around to updating it to include all the others who have transferred from BYU):
|NAME||POS||ROSTER YRS||HS RATING||DESTINATION|
|Christensen, Caleb||CB||2020-22||3-star, 0.8227||Unknown|
|Vaka, Victory||DL||2022||3-star, 0.8784||Unknown|
|Jackson, Christopher||WR||2020-21||3-star, 0.8206||Unknown|
|Romney, Baylor||QB||2018-21||3-star, 0.8015||Retirement|
|Hanshaw, Bentley||TE||2017, 20-21||2-star, 0.7900||Liberty|
|Parrish, Cade||OT||2021||3-star, 0.8317||Utah State|
|Wilson, Jacques||CB||2020-21||2-star, 0.7900||Unknown|
|Fevaleaki, Seleti||DL||2019-20||3-star, 0.8465||Oklahoma State|
|McFarland, Darius||DL||2018-19||3-star, 0.8366||Utah State|
|Tapusoa, Kuj||RB||2016-18, 20||3-star, 0.8209||Unknown|
|Henry-Cole, Devontae||RB||2020*||3-star, 0.8221||Utah State|
|Finau, Paula||IOL||2017||2-star, 0.7964||Unknown|
|Miskela, Alex||LB||2019-20||2-star, 0.7889||Unknown|
|Chambers, Austin||DL||2016-20||3-star, 0.8415||Maine|
|Kaufusi, Devin||WDE||2018-19||3-star, 0.8400||Utah|
|Latu, Hirkley||LB||2018, 20||3-star, 0.8287||UCF|
|Southam, Skyler||K||2018-19||3-star, 0.8457||Utah|
|Critchlow, Joe||QB||2017-19||2-star, 0.7587||Grad Transfer|
|Tolutau, Ula||RB||2017-18||3-star, 0.8138||Unknown|
|Conner, Stacy||QB||2018||3-star, 0.8190||Snow College|
|Mo’unga, Tevita||DL||2015-18||3-star, 0.8477||Texas A&M-Kingsville|
|Burt, Riley||RB||2015-18||3-star, 0.8165||Utah State|
|Jimenez, Jacob||OT||2015-18||2-star, 0.7921||San Diego State|
|Armstrong, Isaiah||CB||2016-18||NR||Northwestern State|
|Davis, Akile||WR||2015-18||3-star, 0.8163||Northwestern State|
|Kirby, Wayne||DL||2017-18||3-star, 0.8422||Unknown|
|Leavitt, Dallin||DB||2013-14||3-star, 0.8286||Utah State, NFL|
|Kearsley, Brayden||OL||2013-14||3-star, 0.8888||Oregon State|
|Trammel, Trent||DB||2013-14||3-star, 0.8215||UTEP (GRAD)|
|Andersen, Chasen||ILB||2013||2-star, 0.7959||Wisconsin, USU|
|Fabuluje, Tayo||OT||2013||3-star, 0.8556||TCU, NFL|
|Green, Billy||QB||2013||3-star, 0.7987||Weber State|
|Peoples, JonRyheem||DL||2013||NR||Idaho State|
|Crichton, Tui||OL||2009, 12-13||3-star, 0.8528||Weber State|
|Pritchard, Iona||RB||2008, 11-13||2-star, 0.7444||Oregon State (GRAD)|
|Olsen, Ammon||QB||2012-13||NR||Southern Utah|
|Collie, Dylan||WR||2012||2-star, 0.7965||Hawaii|
|Kuresa, Alex||WR/QB||2011-12||NR||Snow College, Portland State|
|Reden, Stehly||TE||2011-12||3-star, 0.8009||CSU-Pueblo|
|Tushaus, Blair||OL/TE||2010-12||3-star, 0.8448||Arizona|
|Pritchard, Baker||DL||2011||3-star, 0.8640||Oregon State|
|Gaines, Kori||DB||2010-11||3-star, 0.7990||College of the Canyons, West Georgia|
|Heaps, Jake||QB||2010-11||4-star, 0.9547||Kansas, Miami, NFL*|
|Quezada, Joshua||RB||2010-11||3-star, 0.8622||Fresno State|
|Phillips, Drew||RB||2010||3-star, 0.8368||College of the Canyons, Toledo|
|Cooper, Chris ?||2010||NR||Utah State|
|Keoshian, Collin||RB/DL||2010||3-star, 0.8479||College of the Canyons, Glendale CC, Illinois State|
|Sorenson, Brad||QB||2009||NR||SUU, NFL|
|Murphy, Jake||TE||2008||3-star, 0.8656||Utah, NFL|
|Bower, Jacob||QB||2006||3-star, 0.8333||Bakersfield JC, Tulsa, McNeese State|
|Mohetau, Ofa||OL||2003-04||5-star, 0.9934||College of Sequioias, Texas Tech|
|Marquardt, Michael||DL||2001, 03-04||NR||Arizona State|
|Ah You , CJ||DL||2001-03||4-star, 0.9000||Snow College, Oklahoma, NFL|
|Olomua, Bristol||WR||1999, 02-03||NR||Texas Tech|
|Olson, Ben||QB||2002||5-star, 0.9980||UCLA|
|Hill, Jordan ?||DT||2000||NR||Arizona State|
|Stratton, Brock||LB||2000||NR||Texas Tech|
|Jenkins, Ronney||RB||1996-98||NR||Northern Arizona|
|Richards, Golden||KR/PR||1970-71||NR||Hawaii, NFL|