It was fun week of BYU alumn matchups. Ziggy Ansah and the Detroit Lions defeated Paul Lasike and the Chicago Bears while Kyle Van Noy and the New England Patriots defeated Dennis Pitta and the Baltimore Ravens. All statistics, snap counts, and transactions for active players are recorded below.
Ezekiel “Ziggy” Ansah (DE, 2010-12; Detroit). Detroit (9-4) defeated Chicago 20-17. Ansah had one solo and one assisted tackle for loss. He started but took just 26 snaps with the defense (45%). Season Totals: 20 tackles (14 solo, 6 assisted), three tackles for loss
John Denney (LS, 2001-04; Miami). Miami (8-5) defeated Arizona 26-23. Denney played 12 snaps (40%) on special teams. Season Totals: No stats
Paul Lasike (RB/FB, 2012-14; Chicago). Chicago (3-10) fell to Detroit 20-17. Lasike played 9 snaps on offense (16%) but recorded no stats. Season Totals: three carries for eight yards; one reception for three yards; one kickoff return for five yards.
Dennis Pitta (TE, 2004, 2007-09; Baltimore). Baltimore (7-6) fell to New Engalnd 30-23. Pitta started at tight end and was targeted five times and had four receptions for 18 yards. He played 49 snaps on offense (70%). Season Totals: 65 receptions for 547 yards, two touchdowns; one fumble lost.
Daniel Sorensen (DB, 2008, 2011-13; Kansas City). The Chiefs (10-3) defeated Oakland 21-13. Sorensen started at safety and had four solo and two assisted tackles. He played 54 snaps on defense (72%) and 25 snaps on special teams (86%). Season Totals: 50 tackles (42 solo, 8 assisted); two TFL; four pass deflections; one forced fumble; two INT with one returned 48 yards for a TD; one sack.
Kyle Van Noy (LB, 2010-13; New England). New England (11-2) defeated Baltimore 30-23. Van Noy had one solo tackle and three assisted tackles. He played 37 snaps on defense (53%) and 11 on special teams (32%). Season Totals: 36 tackles (24 solo, 12 assisted); one sack; one TFL; one pass deflection; one interception.
Additional Cougars on the injured reserve:
- Bronson Kaufusi (DE, 2012-15). On injured reserve for Baltimore Ravens.
- Uani ‘Unga (MLB, 2011-13). On the injured reserve for New York Giants
- De’Ondre Wesley (OT, 2013-14). On injured reserve for Baltimore Ravens.
- Alani Fua (ILB, 2010-14). Placed on injured reserve after week 3. Season Totals: One assisted tackle
Cougars currently on practice squads:
- Jordan Leslie has been everywhere this season. He was waived by the Atlanta Falcons in August, spent one week on the Tennessee Titans practice squad in September, and was added on October 18th to the Cleveland Browns practice squad.
- Rob Daniel (CB, 2013-14). Daniel spent 2015-16 on Green Bay practice squad and some time on 53 man roster. He was released after training camp in early September 2016 but was elevated to the Green Bay practice squad before week 3. That only lasted a week or so as he was waived by the Packers on September 25, 2016. However he was picked up by Baltimore and played 19 snaps (61%) on special teams (but recorded no stats) on an October 23 loss to the Jets. He was waived by the Ravens on November 5, 2016 but then re-activated to the practice squad on November 12th.
- Cody Hoffman has spent this season on the practice squad for the Montreal Alouettes of the Canadian Football League (CFL).
- Manoa Pikula (ILB, 2012-15). Cut by the Green Bay Packers in the pre-season but is currently listed on the Injury Report