Only four BYU alumni were in-action on Sunday. Dennis Pitta had six receptions for Baltimore, Daniel Sorensen had an assisted tackle for Kansas City, Paul Lasike had a three yard reception for the Bears, and John Denney handled long snapper duties for Miami. Meanwhile, Kyle Van Noy has yet to see the field for the Patriots. All statistics, snap counts, and transactions for active players are recorded below.
Paul Lasike (RB/FB, 2012-14; Chicago). Lasike continued his off-again on-again relationship with the Bears and was activated once again to the roster this week. The Bear (2-7) fell to Tampa 36-10 and Lasike had one catch for three yards in the game. Unfortunately, his reception resulted in him falling back on Pro-Bowl guard Kyle Long who left the game with a severe right ankle injury. Lasike played seven total snaps on offense (12%). Season Totals: two carries for three yards; one reception for three yards.
Dennis Pitta (TE, 2004, 2007-09; Baltimore). Baltimore (5-4) defeated Cleveland 28-7. Pitta was targeted six times and had six receptions for 26 yards. He started and played 68 snaps on offense (83%). Season Totals: 46 receptions for 375 yards.
Daniel Sorensen (DB, 2008, 2011-13; Kansas City). The Chiefs (7-2) defeated Carolina 20-17. Sorensen had one assisted tackle. He saw reduced playing time with just 18 snaps on defense (25%) and another 21 snaps on special teams (81%). Season Totals: 35 tackles (31 solo, 4 assisted); two TFL; three pass deflections; one forced fumble; two INT with one returned 48 yards for a TD; one sack.
Kyle Van Noy (LB, 2010-13; New England). New England (7-2) fell to Seattle 31-24. Van Noy has yet to see the field since he was traded to the Patriots mid-season from Detroit. Season Totals: 23 tackles (21 solo, two assisted); one TFL; one pass deflection.
Additional Cougars on the injured reserve:
- Bronson Kaufusi (DE, 2012-15). On injured reserve for Baltimore Ravens
- Uani ‘Unga (MLB, 2011-13). On the injured reserve for New York Giants
- De’Ondre Wesley (OT, 2013-14). On injured reserve for Baltimore Ravens
- Alani Fua (ILB, 2010-14). Placed on injured reserve after week 3. Season Totals: One assisted tackle
Cougars currently on practice squads:
- Rob Daniel (CB, 2013-14). Daniel spent 2015-16 on Green Bay practice squad and some time on 53 man roster. He was released after training camp in early September 2016 but was elevated to the Green Bay practice squad before week 3. That only lasted a week or so as he was waived by the Packers on September 25, 2016. However he was picked up by Baltimore and played 19 snaps (61%) on special teams (but recorded no stats) on an October 23 loss to the Jets. He was waived by the Ravens on November 5, 2016 but then re-activated to the practice squad on November 12th.
- Jordan Leslie has been everywhere this season. He was waived by the Atlanta Falcons on August 27, 2016. He then spent one week on the Tennessee Titans practice squad in September, and was added on October 18th to the Cleveland Browns practice squad.
- Cody Hoffman has spent this season on the practice squad for the Montreal Alouettes of the Canadian Football League (CFL).
I’m currently working on an Ultimate BYU alumni in the NFL Guide (2016-17 Edition), which will list all the stats and transactions for all BYU alumni sniffing the NFL this season (so the 12 listed in today’s report as well as at least ten others who were cut either before or during the season). I will be sending an advance copy of this guide to the subscribers of my newsletter in the next week or two, so if you want in on that action make sure to sign up below.