With Connecticut recruit Seth Willis kicking off the season this week, now all of BYU’s commits have now started their High School football seasons. Notable performances this week include: Brandon Kaho (four rushing TDs and an interception), TJ Buchanan (one rushing TD, two-point conversion), Ben Bywater (two rushing TDs), Bentley Hanshaw (two receiving TDs), Cameron Latu (seven tackles and a sack), Nathan Latu (nine tackles and a sack). Game summaries for each of the commits are listed below.
Class of 2017 commits (listed alphabetically)
- Tanner Baker (TE/DE, Alatoona HS, @TBAKE32). The Buckaneers had a bye week. Baker has still not yet been cleared to play due to a knee injury.
- TJ Buchanan (WR, Elgin HS, @BeastTj3). The Elgin Wildcats (1-2) got the first win of the season in dramatic fashion, destroying Cedar Creek 43-0. Tariq played a big part in the win, carrying the rock seven times for 78 yards (11.1 avg) one touchdown and a two point conversion, while also catching two passes for 16 yards and returning three punts for 28 yards (9.3 avg). Season totals: 20 rushes for 141 yards, 3 TD, two 2PT CONV; 10 receptions for 155 yards, 1 TD; 4 KR for 62 yards (15.5 avg); 4 PR for 66 yards, 1 total tackles (1 solo, 0 assisted).
- Ben Bywater (ATH, Olympus HS, @benbywater5). Olympus (3-1) defeated Northridge 34-17. Bywater had 13 carries for 85 yards and two touchdowns as well as five tackles on defense. Season totals: 51 carries for 224 yard and two TDs; 7 receptions for 62 yards; 23 tackles, 1 sack.
- Donovan Hanna (TE/DT, American Leadership Academy; @donnyd119). The ALA Patriots (3-1) rebounded from their first loss to defeat Fountain Hills 51-13. Hanna’s stats for the game are not yet available. Season totals (through first three games): 12 receptions for 214 yards; 5 tackles (2 solo, 3 assisted); 2 TFL; 1 sack; 2 punts for 72 yards.
- Ammon Hannemann (S, Lone Peak HS; @Ammon_Hann1). Lone Peak (3-1) defeated Pleasant Grove 41-15. Hanneman had eight tackles in the win. Season totals: 8 tackles
- Bentley Hanshaw (TE/DE, Moorpark HS; @BentleyHanshaw). Moorpark (2-1) defeated Simi Valley 49-14. Hanshaw scored a 21 yard touchdown reception on the opening possession, and again on a 29 yard reception in the third. Season stats: 6 receptions for 155 yards, 5 TDS
- Tongi Langi (DB, Bingham HS; @Big_Tuna24). Bingham (3-0) continues to dominate, this time taking down Lone Peak 42-21. Their first victories this season have been by an average score of 43-7, going against some of the best teams in the state. Langi’s stats are not yet available. Season Totals: 1 punt return for 60 yards, 1 TD
- Preston Lewis (DE/LB, Lone Peak HS, @plewis_8). Lone Peak (3-1) defeated Pleasant Grove 41-15. Lewis’s stats are not yet available. Season totals: 1 sack
- Jackson McChesney (RB, Lone Peak HS, @jackson21cheese). Lone Peak (3-1) defeated Pleasant Grove 41-15. McChesney had five carries for five yards and three receptions for 39 yards. He thankfully wasn’t called for targeting and will be playing again next week. Season totals: 27 carries for 86 yards, 3 TDs; 12 receptions for 171 yards.
- Ryan Rehkow (K, Central Valley HS; @r_rehkow24). The Bears (1-1) defeated Lake City 43-0. Rehkow connected on 2/4 field goals (30, 49 yards) in the first half of the win and kicked five extra points in the second half. Season Totals: 3 field goals (long of 49 yards), five XP conversion
- Isaac Rex (TE, San Clemente HS, @Isaac_Rex1). San Clemente (2-1) barely squeaked by Roosevelt 63-3 at home. Rex had a two receptions for 17 yards in the blowout. Season stats: 7 receptions for 82 yards, 1 TD
- Seth Willis (OL, Newtown HS; @seth_willy). The Nighthawks (1-0) defeated New Fairfield 34-0 in their home opener. Willis anchored the o-line and recorded no stats. Season Totals:
Class of 2018 commits
- Campbell Barrington (OT/DE, University HS; @Campbel33563194). The Titans (1-1) fell to Post Falls 7-49. Barrington’s stats are not yet available. Season Totals:
- Brandon Ale Kaho (RB/LB, Reno HS; @Brandonkah0). The Reno Huskies (3-0) stayed perfect on the season with a 34-24 victory over Placer (Auburn, CA). It was the Brandon Kaho show as he had 12 carries for 87 yards and FOUR touchdowns, a 10 yard reception, three solo tackles, and an interception. Season Totals: 33 carries for 283 yards (8.6 avg) and 7 TDs; 4 receptions for 63 yards (15.8 avg) and 1 TD; 7 tackles (7 solo, 0 assisted); 1 TFL; 1 INT
- Jaren Kump (OL/DL, Herriman HS; @jarenkump68). Herriman (2-1) defeated Box Elder 35-22. Kump had a tackle and a sack in the game. Season Totals: 10 tackles, 1 sack
- Cameron Latu (DE/TE, Olympus HS). Olympus (3-1) defeated Northridge 34-17. Cameron had seven tackles and a sack. He has had at least one sack in each of the four games so far this season. Season totals: 3 receptions for 43 yards; 29 tackles; six sacks
- Nathan Latu (DE, Olympus HS; @LatuNathan). Olympus (3-1) defeated Northridge 34-17. Nate saw his first action of the season and made the most of it with nine tackles and a sack. Season totals: 9 tackles, 1 sack
- Sekope Lutu Latu (K/P, Kahuku HS; @LatuSekope). The Red Raiders (5-0) annihilated Radford 83-0 to move up to 17 in the national rankings. They will be tested as they face No. 1 ranked Bishop Gorman (Las Vegas) this week. Stats not yet available (but I doubt he did much punting this week). Season Totals:
- Tyler Manoa (DT/T, Saint Francis HS; @tylermanoa). The Lancers (2-0) had a bye this week. Season Totals (through one game): 4 tackles (1 solo, 3 assisted); 1.0 TFL; 1.0 sack; 1 QBH
- Connor Pay (OT/DT, Lone Peak HS; @cpay73). Lone Peak (3-1) defeated Pleasant Grove 41-15. Pay did not record any stats. Season Totals:
- Jacob Smith (OT, Rosemount HS; @jesmith4530). The Irish (2-0) defeated Apple Valley 28-17. Smith recorded no stats. Season Totals:
Class of 2019 commits
- CJ Alatini (DE, Orem HS; @AlatiniCj). Orem (1-3) got their first win on the season with a 28-25 victory over Corner Canyon. Alatani’s stats are not yet available. Season totals:
- Tausili Fiatoa (DE, Orem HS). Orem (1-3) got their first win on the season with a 28-25 victory over Corner Canyon. Fiatoa’s stats are not yet available. Season totals:
- Apu Ika (DT/OL, East HS, @Jackfish801). East (4-0) stayed undefeated with a 37-23 victory over Pulaski Academy (AK). Ika recorded no stats. Season totals: