Max Tooley is a 6-foot-2 215-pound linebacker for Brigham Young University, recruited as part of the Class of 2016.
BYU summary: In four seasons at BYU (roster years 2018-2021), Tooley has played in 41 games (eight starts), with 162 tackles (91 solo), 10.5 tackles for loss, one sack, three interceptions, three quarterback hurries, and five pass breakups (BYUcougars.com).
- 2022 (Junior).
- 2021 (Sophomore). Played in 12 games (six starts), and had 68 tackles (37 solo), 4.5 tackles for loss, a sack, and an interception
- 2020 (COVID Sophomore). Played in 12 games and had 44 tackles, three tackles for loss, three quarterback hurries, one pass breakup, one blocked kick, and one interception
- 2019 (Freshman). Played in 13 games (two starts), had 48 tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss, and one interception
- 2018 (Redshirt). Played in four games, had one solo tackle.
- 2016-2017 (LDS mission). London South, United Kingdom
High School. Tooley prepped at Bountiful High School (Bountiful, Utah), where as a senior he completed 1-of-3 passes for 40 yards, carried the ball 156 times for 1,125 yards and 12 touchdowns, caught 16 passes for 109 yards, recorded 93 tackles (33 solo), with 5.5 tackles for loss, two sacks, one interception, and one fumble recovery for a touchdown. He also returned two kickoffs for 144 yards (MaxPreps).
As a junior he rushed 65 times for 422 yard and four touchdowns, had one 38-yard touchdown reception, had 55 tackles (26 solo), with two tackles for loss, two passes defended, one fumble forced and one fumble recovery (returned for a touchdown), one blocked field goal, and four interceptions for 171 return yards and three touchdowns.
Recruitment. Tooley was rated 3-stars by 247Sports (0.8608), who rated him the no. 4 prospect from Utah in the Class of 2016. He held scholarship offers from Cal, Colorado, Nevada, Oregon State, Utah, Utah State, and Washington State. He was also recruited by Minnesota, Stanford, Washignton, Weber State, and Wyoming. Tooley committed to BYU on September 16, 2015.