In week one of NFL action four of the seven Cougars on active rosters started for their respective teams, with Paul Lasike (rookie for Chicago) and Kyle Van Noy (3rd year with Detroit) recording their first NFL starts. It was, however, a quiet week for Cougars in the NFL with only two players recording any statistics: Ansah with two tackles (including one for loss), and Pitta with three receptions for 39 yards. All statistics and snap counts are recorded below.
Ezekiel “Ziggy” Ansah (DE, 2010-12; Detroit). Detroit beat Indianapolis 39-35 in week one. Ansah started and had one solo tackle for a two yard loss and one assisted tackle. He played 50 snaps on defense (71%) and three snaps on special teams (9%). Season Totals: two tackles (1 solo, 1 assisted), one tackle for loss
Paul Lasike (RB/FB, 2012-14; Chicago). Chicago fell to Houston 14-23. Lasike got his first NFL start at full back and played 14 snaps on offense (25%) and six snaps on special teams (21%). He was used as a blocking back and recording no rushing statistics. Season Totals:
Dennis Pitta (TE, 2004, 2007-09; Baltimore). The Baltimore Ravens defeated Buffalo 13-7 in week one. Pitta started and was targeted four times with three receptions for 39 yards (13 ypr). He played 56 offensive snaps (82%). Season Totals:
Daniel Sorensen (DB, 2008, 2011-13; Kansas City). The Chiefs defeated the Chargers 33-27 and Sorensen played 18 defensive snaps (25%) and 29 snaps on special teams (85%). He recorded no stats. Season Totals:
Kyle Van Noy (LB, 2010-13; Detroit). Detroit beat Indianapolis 39-35 in week one. Van Noy had his first pro start but was used sparingly and recorded no statistics. He played 15 snaps on defense (21%) and 27 snaps on special teams (82%). Season Totals:
So BYU had seven alumni play in week one, with four getting starts. The Cougars had ten players who tried out for NFL teams in the off-season but were cut prior to the regular season, and three additional players that made the pre-season cuts but are on listed injured reserve.
- Bronson Kaufusi (DE, 2012-15). On injured reserve for Baltimore Ravens.
- Uani ‘Unga (MLB, 2011-13). On the injured reserve for New York Giants
- De’Ondre Wesley (OT, 2013-14). On injured reserve for Baltimore Ravens.
- Robertson Daniel (CB, 2013-14). Cut by the Green Bay Packers.
- Jake Heaps (QB, 2010-11). Cut by the Seattle Seahawks
- Terenn Houk (WR/TE, 2011-15). Cut by Chicago Bears.
- Jordan Leslie (WR, 2014). Cut by the Atlanta Falcons.
- Mitch Mathews (WR, 2009, 2012-15). Cut by the Kansas City Chiefs.
- Ryker Mathews (OL, 2011-15). Cut by the New Orleans Saints.
- Ammon Olson* (QB, 2012-13). Cut by Indianapolis Colts
- Manoa Pikula (ILB, 2012-15). Cut by the Green Bay Packers.
- Graham Rowley (DL, 2010-11, 2014-15). Cut by Green Bay Packers.
- Brad Sorensen* (QB, 2009). Cut by the Minnesota Vikings.
Am I missing anyone? I think Cody Hoffman is still playing for the Montreal Alouettes in the CFL and there might be one or two others that I’ve forgotten about. If you have any info to add to this list please add it in the comments below.